Culinary masters including Marcus Samuelsson, Anne Burrell, Tyler Florence, Stephanie Izard, Ed Baines and Roger Mooking will be making their way to the island of Barbados, the culinary capital of the Caribbean, for the fifth annual Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival. The international gourmet event of the season boasts the ultimate Caribbean fare from November 20-23, 2014. Barbados reveals the schedule of events for the four-day epicurean extravaganza including location and ticket details at www.foodwinerum.com.
Teaming up with island all-stars Ashley Davis, Jamar Drakes, Marco Festini Cromer, Cecil Gill, Creig Greenidge, Guise Mama and Omar Robertson, the team of world renowned chefs will partake in a wide variety of chef demonstrations, tasting events and seminars highlighting all things food, wine and rum for the annual epicurean event. Chefs will showcase their skills using special cooking techniques in intimate gatherings at some of Barbados’ leading hotels and restaurants. The festival aims to not only show travelers how to master the art of cooking and wine pairings, but also how to enjoy fine food, wine and rum all the more.
2014 Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival event highlights include:
- Guests will be able to mingle with the international chefs and experience local flavor at A Night Out in Oistins. Chefs will be serving up a variety of seafood including the island’s native Flying Fish on November 20. Watch a live cooking demonstration by Marcus Samuelsson, a mixology competition and a “Grill Masters” cook-off all while listening to calypso music.
- Learn innovative culinary techniques during cooking demonstrations. Guests will have the opportunity to relish the complexities of Barbados’ legendary rum and gain expert knowledge on a range of hand-selected wines.
- Explore the Rum Trails at Mount Gay, Four Square and St. Nicholas Abbey to learn about each distillery and unique tasting notes.
- Sail the tranquil waters of the blue Caribbean aboard the Spirit of Barbados Luxury Catamaran during the festival’s Indulgence the Cruise on November 24. Guests will swim with the turtles and snorkel the wrecks of Carlisle Bay to return to a savory meal and premium bar with only sun, sand and sea on the horizon.
- Visit authentic neighborhood eating establishments across the Country with the festival’s newest dining experience Food Trails, showcasing the island’s traditional and local food & beverage offerings.
- Renowned chef Tyler Florence brings his creativity and innovative culinary style to one of the most exquisite seaside settings, The Cliff restaurant, for an evening of sumptuous cuisine, conversation, crashing waves and panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea.
- Luis Torres, Co-Founder and Director of Constellation Academy of Wine hosts The Liberation of Food and Wine Dinner offering guests a chance to explore food and wine parings in a whole new light. Guests will journey through distinct flavor profiles and specific types of wine pairings.
- Experience the Barbados Culinary Team at Bajan Fiesta, comprised of award-winning chefs and mixologists.
- Savor it all at Ambrosia V, where international guest chefs join local chefs to serve up a variety of sample-sized dishes. Guest can sample the latest fare and mingle amongst an elegant island backdrop at Ilaro Court.
- Explore and savor Mount Gay Rum, the oldest rum in the world, at the historic rum distillery in St. Lucy, and learn about Where the Rum Comes From. Start by following the brand’s 310-year rich history of rum-crafting experience at the Mount Gay Visitors Center then enjoy a traditional Bajan lunch on November 23.
Culinary Masters, Legendary Winemakers And 10,000 Foodies Collide At The San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival
Tickets for the 11 th Annual San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival, Southern California’s largest wine and food festival, have officially launched and are available to the public. The most crave-worthy event of the year takes the spotlight this November 16-23, 2014, for its 11th season in what promises to be its most indulgent celebration yet. The star-studded food and wine classic takes place in various locations across San Diego, with over 20 opportunities to satiate enthusiasts’ appetites for luxury wine and food throughout the week, said Michelle Metter, co-producer of the San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival.
“The San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival has become the common ground for exceptional chefs, winemakers, negociants, sommeliers, mixologists, butchers, brewmasters, cheese mongers, farmers, food merchants and producers of all scale,” added Metter. “The level of talent and our community’s connection to the art, pleasure and celebration of food makes San Diego the ideal destination to once again play host to the over 10,000 guests in town for the Festival.”
The San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival is an international showcase of the world’s premier wines and spirits, chefs and culinary personalities, and gourmet foods. The week- long epicurean experience celebrates San Diego’s vibrant culinary community with over 20 citywide events, wine and cooking classes, chef dinners, and multiple tasting events throughout the week. The Festival’s legendary Grand Tasting presented by Kia K900 transforms the beautiful San Diego Bay into a food lover’s paradise, featuring 200 wineries, breweries and spirits from around the world, 70 local restaurants plus dozens of gourmet food companies, and the “Chef of the Fest Competition” where San Diego’s best chefs take center stage.
This year’s food and wine festival features rare tasting experiences including a highly-coveted tasting of the great Spanish wines of Vega Sicilia’s Unico from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s; a First-Growth Bordeaux tasting of all five First Growths of the 1855 Bordeaux wine classification including Chateaux Lafite, Latour, Mouton, Margaux and Haut Brion; and a 1,000 Point Tasting of ten, 100 point wines presented by Kia K900, this year led by the acclaimed Master Sommelier Fred Dame.
Additionally the Festival attracts celebrated chefs from across the country including James Beard award-winning chefs Nate Appleman, Gale Gand, and RJ Cooper, Antonin Careme medal holder Suzette Gresham, Iron Chef America winner Katsuya Fukushima, Chef Richard Blais and Chef Jon Sloan of Juniper & Ivy, authors of Talk With Your Mouth Full, The Hearty Boys, and author of El Farol: Tapas and Spanish Cuisine, James Campbell Caruso.
Local culinary standouts also fill out the roster of chef all-stars, including Bernard Guillas of La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and The Marine Room, Sam Burman of Grant Grill, Alex Carballo of URBN Coal Fired Pizza, Ivan Flowers of Top of the Market, Aron Schwartz of Marina Kitchen, Brian Bonney of The Oceanaire Seafood Room, John Medall of The Patio Restaurant Group, Kevin Templeton of barleymash, Chad White of Comun Kitchen & Tavern, Abe Botello of West Coast Tavern, Derek Jaeger of The Cravory, Ryan Johnston of Whisknladle, Giorgio Lo Verde of Il Fornaio Coronado, Jason McLeod of Ironside Fish & Oyster, Paul Murphy of Humphreys Restaurant, Duvinh Ta of Jake’s Del Mar, Alfie Szeprethy of Roppongi Restaurant & Sushi Bar, Nicolas Bour of Loews Coronado Bay Resort, Jonathan McCann of Odysea, Sam Kambo of Royal India, Erin Kuba of Kuba Kreations, Jorge Gutierrez of Romesco Mex Med Bistro, Christopher Spayde of Bluewave Bar & Grill, Tommy Fraioli and George Morris of Beaumont’s Eatery, Arnie Espanoza of Dick’s Last Resort, Christina Pancheri of Tavern, Brad Hightow of University Club Atop Symphony Towers, and others.
This year’s schedule shines with celebrated Master Sommeliers and M.S. candidates leading the lineup of once-in-a-lifetime tastings. Notables spearheading this year’s discussions include the acclaimed Frederick Dame, Michael Jordan, Sur Lucero, Thomas Price and San Diego-based Sommeliers Lisa Redwine of La Jolla Shores and The Marine Room, Joshua Orr of Marina Kitchen, and Jeff Josenhans of the US Grant.
To preview the schedule of events and featured celebrities visit the San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival online at www.sandiegowineclassic.com. Events, personalities and participating wineries and restaurants are updated daily.